Understanding product clones
Cloning a product creates a new item that is identical but separate from the original item.
Cloning can save you time and labor when creating similar products, because product information is copied over to the cloned product, and only some changes need to be made.
A similar, but separate, action can copy information to existing SKUs.
However, a cloned product is not the same as a shadow. Whereas a shadow product’s inventory is tied to that of the parent, a cloned product has no association with the original product.
Several Client Settings configure which product information will be cloned:
- Enable images copy on Shadow product clone
- Do not copy Product Specifics when cloning product
- Clone N-Matrix configuration when cloning a Product with N-Matrix
- Enable images copy on product clone (simple)
- Enable UPC copy on product clone (simple)
- Enable Title copy on product clone (simple)
- Keep channel active status on Shadow clone
- Copy kit properties on product clone
Cloning a product
- Access Catalog > Manage Catalog.
- Choose the product you wish to clone. Copy the SKU.
- Select your Products > Action Icon > Clone SKUs.
- Type the new SKU into New SKU > Clone SKUs.
The history of the item will log the SKU as a clone and from which SKU this new item was cloned.
Importing clones in bulk
Clones can be created in bulk through a file import. Some attributes can be modified in the file. See headers below.
- Got o Catalog > Tools > Import Product Info > Import Product Clones.
- You can make your own template or download one directly from Sellercloud. Use the following column headers:
Column Header Description ProductID Existing SKU that you would like to clone ClonedProductID The desired SKU of the newly created clone CompanyID Numerical ID of the company the clone should be created into FulfilledBy Entering Amazon will set clone as FBA, entering Merchant will set clone as FBM CopyUPC If you want to copy from existing item to clone put True, or else blank CopyASIN If you want to copy from existing item to clone put True, or else blank
- Refer to the example below.
- To download a preset template, use the icon indicated below.
- Save your file. Return to Import Product Clones > Click to upload file > Import