Understanding inventory reserve
There are times you may want to allocate inventory for a specific channel. This is especially true for such daily deal sites, such as Groupon, where you allocate a certain amount of units for the deal.
You can define a reserved quantity and the duration of the reserve on a product’s Manual Inventory Reserve page. During the specified time period, the quantity reserved will be subtracted from the inventory feeds to all channels.
For example, suppose you have 100 units. A manual reserve of 10 for Groupon will reduce the available quantity for the other channels to 90. As orders from the indicated channel come in, quantity is reduced from the reserve first. When the reserve is depleted, inventory will be reduced from the regular inventory.
Note that similar functionality is available for the Channel Warehouse feature.
Creating a reserve by product
Creating a manual reserve will deduct from the quantity available for EVERY channel— including the channel that the reserve is made for— as this function is meant to reserve quantity for channels to which you do not send an inventory update.
You can reserve a product by customer or channel:
- If you chose Customer, enter the customer email for which you are reserving. This should be used for Living Social and other sites that are categorized as website orders, but come in under one email address. An order from the customer will deduct from the reserved quantity.
- If you choose Channel, select the channel for which you are reserving. An order from the channel will deduct from the reserved quantity.
Reserving a product
- In Settings > Client Settings > Catalog >Enable Product Manual Reserves.
- In the product details page > Toolbox > Manual Reserves.
- Click Edit. Use the plus icon in the Manual Reserves window.
- Complete the required fields.
When the duration is completed, the remaining reserved inventory will be released.
With kits, the reserve must be set on the components, unless it is an independent kit.
Creating a reserve with a template
You have the option to create product reserves by populating a template with the exact same data described below, and importing it.
- Access Inventory > Tools > Import Inventory Info.
- Select Import Manual Reserves.
- Download a template and populate the columns.
If you do this, the downloaded template’s Reserve ID column is only used with the _ACTION_ column to delete an existing reserve (enter its Reserve ID and uppercase Delete, respectively). If creating a new reserve, leave those 2 columns empty. In the template’s Reserve Type column, enter 0 for a manual reserve.